Vitamins – the magical beans if Jack had back then he wouldn't need to sell his cow but he found something wonderful in the magical beans. The magic of wonder. Vitamins are synonymous with those magical beans. Well, you may not get a golden egg at the end of the story but your immune system will enjoy the benefits of natural vitamins immensely. After all, who doesn't want a healthy and strong immune system? Everyone does. But did you know how much the nutrient levels affect your physical well-being? The right type of nutrients, especially the vitamins, helps in protecting you from various toxins and infections.
See more: Natural Immune System Booster foods
Carbs, proteins, fiber, fats, etc every nutritional play a major role in boosting our immune system but it is the vitamins that take the crown.
Role-play of Vitamins
Vitamins are derived from the Latin origin Vita meaning life. Found in ample amounts in organic substances, these are really helpful for cells to function properly.
In modern times, vitamins have become an essential part of our daily lives. Either in the form of supplements or organically grown food, these are essential fuel from your body. Since vitamins are not produced by the body you need to include foods with good average nutritional values. More so, vitamins help to
- Helps to make bones stronger
- Fastens the healing process
- Converts food into energy
- Repair the cellular damage
- Boosts the immune system and so on
Unfortunately, many of us are not blessed with healthy diet plans. Our rigorous routine makes it impossible to intake the necessary nutrients all at once.
So the best way is to identify the best vitamins to boost your immune system.
1. Vitamin C
The biggest factor that contributes towards a healthier immune system is the great awesomeness of vitamin C. According to experts, vitamin C is said to be one of the safest vitamins a person can consume regularly. Even if may not be the cure for the common cold it does have strong benefits like
- Protection against immune system
- Cardiac diseases
- Prenatal health problems
- Eye diseases
- Skin problems, etc.
A higher level of vitamin C in your body will lead to an ideal immune system. But what is the added benefit? It promotes longevity. The average human age is 40. So the longer you want to live, you better start with consuming vitamin C.
The daily dosage of Vitamin C
Even if you use it consistently, you need to keep a close on eye on the amount you intake. For adults, it is suggested to take 75-90 mg a day. So you get to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. You can also use supplements for an effective immune system.
Foods that contain Vitamin C
- Cantaloupe 1 cup (8 ounces): 59mg
- Orange juice 1 cup: 97mg
- Broccoli, cooked 1 cup: 74mg
- Red cabbage,1/2 cup: 40mg
- Green pepper, 1/2 cup, 60mg
- Red pepper, 1/2 cup, 95mg
- Kiwi, 1 medium: 70mg
- Tomato juice, 1 cup: 45mg, etc
2. Vitamin B6
Looking for another vitamin to boost your immune system during COVID-19? How does a vitamin that supports biochemical reaction sound? Considered as an important ingredient for neural development, vitamin B6 works in favor of the nervous system alongside long-term maintenance for a healthy immune system.
According to the popular beliefs vitamin B6 is said to;
- Help in heat and blood vessel diseases
- Reduces the morning sickness
- Reduce symptoms of PMS (Premenstrual Syndrome)
- Helps in treating Sideroblastic anemia etc
However if you do suffer from kidney diseases or have symptoms of malabsorption, vitamin B6 is usually advised. People suffering from anemia are said to enjoy some of the major health benefits too in the long run.
The daily dosage of Vitamin B6
Depending on the purpose of the usage, the doses for vitamin B6 will vary. For instance
If taken orally, in a condition if the body is producing abnormal red blood cells, then a dose of 3-50 mg per day is required.
- 5 Ways To Boost Your Immune System Naturally
- What Are The Health Benefits Of Herbal Tea?
- How To Boost Immune System? (Pills, Supplements, & Medication)
Similarly, in the case of deficiency, the standard dose is from 2.5-25 mg daily for three weeks straight. After that, the amount will be reduced to 1.5-2.5 mg per day. For kids (until 5 years of age) you can give a daily dose of up to 20 mg.
Foods that contains Vitamin B6
- Chickpeas, canned, 1 cup: 1.1mg
- Beef liver, 3 ounces: 0.9 mg
- Salmon, 3 ounces: 0.6 mg
- Potatoes boiled, 1 cup: 0.4 mg
- Bulgur, 1 cup: 0.2 mg
- Onions, chopped, ½ cup: 0.1 mg
- Waffles, 1 waffle: 0.3 mg
- Cottage cheese, 1% low-fat, 1 cup: 0.2 mg
3. Vitamin E
This is not a surprise at all. Another of the best vitamins for the body is vitamin E to fight off the infection. A powerful antioxidant, vitamin E, is fat-soluble, stops the production of ROS, and prevents any chronic diseases too. It consists of eight different compounds and alpha-tocopherol is usually the most common in
It is claimed that vitamin E promotes health and also plays a significant role in the anti-inflammatory process too alongside;
- Promotes longer cell life
- An extra layer of protection for people living in a high-risk environment
- Helps in hyperpigmentation
- Prevents aging and wrinkles
- Treats acne scarring etc.
A vitamin that helps your body to regenerate the cells is a must item. Try foods that have high vitamin E or you can even use oral supplements to overcome vitamin E deficiency too.
The daily dosage of Vitamin E
One can easily overdose on foods that contain a huge amount of vitamin E. In such cases, it can cause serious side effects. For an adult, the dose shouldn't exceed 1000 IUs per day. According to the recommendation by the general physicians, a dose of 15 mg is substantial for ages 14 and above.
Foods that contain Vitamin E
- Wheat germ oil, 1tbsp: 20.3 mg
- Sunflower seeds, 1 ounce: 7.4 mg
- Almonds, one ounce: 6.8 mg
- Sunflower oil, 1 tbsp: 5.6 mg
- Hazelnuts, 1 ounce: 4.3 mg
- Peanut butter, 2 tbsp: 2.2 mg
- Spinach boiled, ½ cup: 1.9 mg
- broccoli boiled, ½ cup: 1.2 mg
Vitamin C, vitamin B6, and vitamin E are our top contenders for a better and healthy immune system. Whether you are looking for a younger-looking skin or to overcome problems, a balanced diet will help a long way.